Sunday, September 11, 2011

Bursting at the Seams

Have you ever been bursting with so much creative energy without any outlet?  Well I have spent at least half my life feeling that exact thing.  I feel this overwhelming need to create something...some days I want to write a book, others to make a picture frame look more fabulous, and even a few days when I think I could decorate a whole house.

So what is the problem you ask?  Do you remember in elementary school when we had to take that test to find out our "True Colors?"  Green was scientific and logical.  Blue was artistic and easy going.  Orange was adventurous and outgoing.  Gold was studious and a born leader.

Well every year I was gold first, and then tied blue/green for second.  Orange last.  And there lies my problem...my artistic side and my logical side can't seem to let the other side have a little more leeway than the other.  So I get an idea to create something, and my nagging logical mind shoots down every thing because it gets hung up on all the nit-picking details!  

However, occasionally my artistic side pulls that tug-o-war rope just a little bit further and I actually sit down and start a project.  The problem there is that I have absolutely no education or common knowledge to support my creative tendencies, and I end up with a half completed arts and crafts project that could have been done by a 10 yr old.

So I get frustrated at my failed attempt, and even more frustrated that I can't actually make anything!

But now, I have found my blue/green match!  My husband is not the exact opposite of me, we have a lot in common.  During our courtship, we realized both of us had this creative energy, and that most of it was directed towards interior design and furniture making.  Saturday nights were spent watching various HGTV and DIY shows.  

The best part, he is more logical than artsy.  He has the ability to look at something and figure out how to make it happen.  To go to a home improvement store and know what type of glue he will need, or what kind of stain may work best.  I wander aimlessly up and down aisles lost, settling on something that sounded like it might, only to find out it doesn't lol.

Now don't get me wrong, Kelly has some good design sense.  And our ideas bounce off each other very nicely.  But I tend to be more of the draw it out and he tends to be more of the look at the picture and make it happen kinda guy.

We are design yin and yang...and with his help I may just learn a few things!

No comments:

Post a Comment